Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day #66, #67, & #68: Pleasure


It has been a fun and exciting three days! Enjoying being 30!

OK, to the serious stuff. As you all may know, I absolutely love Liz Gilbert and her book "Eat, Pray, Love." While in Italy, Liz learns to practice the art of pleasure. Pleasure, not crack open a six pack and watch the game...no, divine, relaxing, do what you love pleasure. The Italians and Spaniard and French have seem to have perfected this art. Why not the rest of us? Jane Austen wrote, "“Why not seize the pleasure at once, how often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparations.”

I did something very out of character for me to today. I decided, just as Liz did, to engage in some much needed pleasure. OK, for some of you out there, get your minds of the gutter. I'm talking about slowing down, doing something I love, and leaving obligation behind for once. Yes, I have a hamper full of laundry that needs to be done, a dishwasher to be emptied, and a tub to scour, but you know what, it will all still be there tomorrow. On this beautiful Sunday, I slipped on my toastiest socks and yoga pants, planted myself on the love seat right next to the window in my bedroom, covered myself with a lovely fleece blanket, and curled up with my kitty and Edward and Bella (yes, I am not afraid to admit that I am reading the Twilight series). And you know what, I felt so incredibly happy. This is my pleasure....a soft chair, a warm blanket, and a great book.

I wish more of us would slow down and savor all of the things that bring us joy. Life is hectic and complicated, filled with duty, children, spouses, but so often, one's own heart and psyche stays neglected. I no longer want to lose sight of what my heart needs and what I need to feed my spirit. So, I have resolved to do things that bring me pleasure more often. I will strive to find a greater balance of responsibility and rest, duty and self-love, and necessity and pleasure. As Voltaire once said, “Pleasure is the object, duty and the goal of all rational creatures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment