Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day #32 & #33: Life is like a box of chocolates...


In the words of Forrest Gump, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." Well Forrest, I'm not so sure about that. Sure, things may happen in life that surprises the hell out of us, but I have this theory, that life brings you exactly what you are meant to have at the exact moment you are meant to have it. I think we just need to learn to open our eyes and become more aware of all of the happenings around us.

Ok, so I will admit it, I am completely oblivious when it comes to certain things. I'm the last person to notice if a celebrity is leisurely strolling across my path, if the rain has just began to fall and soaking my hair, or if God forbid a guy is checking me out...I am just plain oblivious. And I wonder, has this been part of my problem? I think many of us go through life with blinders on, and when the unexpected happens, or should I say the expected that we just don't notice happens, our world is shaken to its core and we just don't know how to come up for air without drowning. How many of us have moaned and groaned that we just can't meet someone, nobody ever notices us, etc.... Well, in my experience, and as many of my dearest and closest friends have lovingly said to me..."Michelle, get your head out of the sand, and see...they do notice you. You just don't notice them!!"

Oprah Winfrey wrote, "I trust that everything happens for a reason, even when we're not wise enough to see it." Buddhism preaches the power of karma, and Christianity reinforces the idea that God only gives you what you are capable of handling. It seems as if remaining oblivious has become the easy way to go through life, almost like adopting the concept of ignorance. Truthfully, going through life with eyes wide open and a heart wide open, is a little scary. There's always a risk of getting hurt, but have we ever noticed that it is the ones that go through life with a heart full and open to accepting love that have found what true happiness really is?

Alright, so I have come to the point in my life where I am taking off my blinders, opening my eyes, and well, just putting it out there. I have learned that an open heart and an open mind is so much more rewarding. So, I think we all need to put down the defenses, and go up to that stranger we find attractive and strike up a conversation, or approach that classmate that has captured our fancy for some time. Sure, there's a chance that that individual may not reciprocate, but then again, there's a chance that the universe is finally bringing you what you've been asking for. It just that we need to be willing to notice it and accept it. It was once written by William Jennings Bryan that "Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." Imagine all of the beauty, and the scenery for that matter, if we all just opened our eyes wide in order to see all of the possibilities...it's just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment