Friday, December 17, 2010

Days #108-#113: The Bitter sweetness of Life


It's a rather bitter sweet day for me. Today would have been my father's 72nd birthday. I'm sure he would have celebrated in some merry and festive way, surrounded by family and friends enjoying mixed drinks and bad jokes. That was my dad. He was one of the kindest, dearest and most loving people I have ever known. There was always a light around him. He could awaken the darkest of rooms and put a smile on the saddest of faces. There was no one quite like my father.

Life seems to continue on despite my father's absence. Weddings have occurred, grandchildren are waiting to be born and lives continue to grow and evolve. I sometimes wonder how my father would feel about the path of my life and my siblings' lives. Without any doubt in my mind, I am sure he is incredibly proud. I know he would have laughed it up and my brother and sister's weddings and hooted and hollered at my grad school commencement ceremony. My parents would have still been happily married and holidays and Sunday dinners would commence at the lead of my father.

Unfortunately, he is no longer physically present for the many of life's wonderful and sorrowful occurrences. However, his spirit undoubtedly has graced our presence for all of these occasions. In his own way, he has been there, and is still here. He's never really left. He just morphed into a more perfect and profound image. He lives within every person that loved him and had the honor of privilege of calling him a husband, a father, a brother, an uncle, a cousin, and a friend.

Today, I reflect on the bitter sweet ironies of life and honor the life of my father. Will Roger's said, "His heritage to his children wasn't words or possessions, but an unspoken treasure, the treasure of his example as a man and a father." Everyone, give your dad a big hug or give him a call just because. Never ever underestimate the power and special bond between a child and his or her father. Death may separate us physically, the bond of a father's love allows him to live forever in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment